Saturday

Printing

Spent many hours in my printing workshop in the basement. I have been working with one of my aquatint etchings on copperplate. This one is of a water lily blossoming on the surface of the dark waters of a lake.
After experimenting for some time I ended up printing it in four colours which meant four times through my hand press. The first plate with the marbling effect of the leaves is printed in ultramarine. The same plate is then rolled over with yellow and printed as a relief print. The second plate with the lily is printed in magenta and yellow and lastly the same plate is printed again as a monoprint where I rolled it up with indigo blue and wiped off where the leaves and lily should be.
With this technique it is not possible to make identical prints in any way so, although I have used the same etched copperplates, each print is unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment